Entrepreneur burnout is real! It plagues anyone who is striving for a better life at some point or another. It’s not a question of if entrepreneur burnout is going to hit you, it’s when.
I’ve experienced (secret: I’m actually in the middle of burnout right now) it and it’s agonizing at best. You feel like you’re letting people down including yourself. It can spin you into a depression, creating even more anxiety and burnout and feelings of overwhelm.
The best thing to do is be prepared for it because no matter what you think it’s totally going to happen. Being prepared can help avoid the number of times burnout strikes and also help you get back on track quicker once it’s happened.
Today’s post we will address:
Why Entrepreneur Burnout Happens
How to Avoid Entrepreneur Burnout From Happening as Often
Tips for Getting Back on Track Once You’ve Experienced Entrepreneur Burnout
This post contains referral/affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please refer to my Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
Entrepreneur Burnout- Why It Happens
Burnout can happen for a variety of reasons. No two people experience the same things exactly the same way. For me, entrepreneur burnout comes when I have too many things on my to-do list that aren’t getting done, I’ve had a hard time focusing, and I put in a ton of effort with little or no results.
Too Many Things On My To-Do List
I’m a person that at any given moment has about 900 things going on. But when I hit 901 the overwhelm sinks in and I lose my mind. I juggle pretty well but the problem for me is that I want to do SO many things and I want to do them ALL at once. I’ve had to learn to prioritize and finish things before taking on something new.
A Hard Time Focusing
When I have too much on my plate it spirals into having a hard time to focus. When I can’t focus I can’t accomplish anything and my brain shuts down. I kid you not my brain literally begins shutting down. I can feel it when it happens but I try to push on. I’ve learned that’s more counterproductive then taking a step back and allowing myself a moment of rest and recuperation.
Too Much Effort Too Little Results
We’ve all been here. Trying to do so many things and feeling like nothing is working. It’s because we hear something worked for someone else and so we add it to our list of things to do. Then we just keep adding and adding and eventually we are doing way too much and nothing is really working. It’s because we aren’t doing any of those things well because we are trying to do way too much. It’s better to find a few highly targeted things to do that give results than trying to do everything out there and getting nothing back.
Entrepreneur Burnout- How to Avoid It
Stop Doing So Much
- Pick one or two things you know work for YOU! Focus on those things first. Even if they are things that have many pieces to it that’s okay but choosing one or two really great strategies is much better than eight half-assed ones.
Schedule Your Time
- Demand time for working your business without interruptions. Sunday’s are my days for writing and planning. My family knows this and they leave me alone. Scheduling my time has highly increased my productivity and vastly decreased the amount of time I spend working. It allows me to get everything done more efficiently and spend more time doing things I love away from the business.
Give Yourself More Time
- I have found when I give myself longer to accomplish something and only have a few things on my list that I’m more productive. I don’t feel the pressure to get it all done. I a lot about the time I think something will take and then add on half that time for cushion. So if a blog post takes me an hour to write normally I always allow about an hour and a half just in case I hit a snag anywhere.
Take A Break
- If you’re feeling the burn coming take time off. Recharge, relax and come back feeling fresh and inspired. We all need rest and relaxation. “All Work and No Play Makes Jack a Very Dull Boy.” If you don’t take the break you could be hurting your business more by putting out lackluster content and lacking passion. Your audience will feel this.
Reevaluate Your Goals
- Are you sure everything you are doing is necessary right now? Could you get the same results if you did less? I like to take a look about once a month on what I’ve done that was successful and what wasn’t. I also look to see if the goals I set were realistic or overly ambitious.
Outsource Every Chance You Get
- I didn’t understand this at all when I was first starting out. I’m the type of person who THINKS I can do it all myself and that asking for help is weak. On the contrary, not asking for help is weakness. Knowing what your strengths are and what you could get someone to do for you to ease your burden is the best thing you can do. So as soon as you can afford to outsource I recommend doing it as often as you can. You can still be involved in anything outsourced and have final say but finding a team to support you is amazing.
Create Less Promote More
- I’m a big believer in creating tons of valuable content. But in the effort of work smarter not harder it’s perfectly fine to create less content and re-purpose it to make it fresh and new. I watched a video presentation on how Gary V. turned 1 piece of content into 33 different pieces of content across several mediums. It’s was incredible and it changed my whole way of thinking about content production and promotion.
- It’s why I’m working on launching a podcast. I plan to use the podcast as my main source of content and turn it into several other pieces that enhance each other.
Switch Things Up
- If something isn’t working for you change it. That’s as simple as number 8 gets.
FUN FUN FUN
- If you aren’t having fun in your business then you’re creating a job. Business isn’t all about numbers and recruits and products. You need to have fun doing what you are doing. You got into this for a better life if it’s not giving you that then reevaluate and find the fun again.
Entrepreneur Burnout- How To Get Back On Track
Taking a step back and reevaluating what is working or not working for you is key to getting back on track. The 9 steps above are all ways to get you back on track but it’s always best if you try to use them before burning out. Once you’ve hit your burnout just step back and try again when you feel ready. Don’t rush yourself.
Entrepreneur Burnout- In Conclusion
Burnout is going to happen. It’s how you recover and attack it that matters. Accept it and move past it as quickly as you can but don’t ignore it and don’t give up.
Free Resource: Re-Purposing Content Guide
Don’t Forget It: Pin It
Resources Mentioned & More That Will Help You Rock Your Biz
My Ultimate Guide to Pinterest for Business E-Book- Grab Yours Here
I created an e-book all about Pinterest. I grew my own Pinterest from 500 monthly views to over 100K in less than 90 days and this book tells you exactly how I did it.
My Lead System Pro- Learn More
There was a time where I was struggling every day to grow my business. Where all I ever got were people who didn’t want what I was offering. I thought I’d never make it and I thought there had to be another way. I was shown a system that my mentor and friend, Tanya Aliza was a big part of. And it’s been invaluable. I now generate leads and prospects in my sleep. It has amazing training for all aspects of growing your business on all the different platforms. I’m happy to offer you a risk-free trial for only $10.00 It’s honestly been the best $10 I ever spent.
I Am Butterfly Bound Online Academy- Learn More
I’ve recently begun my own online academy. In this academy, I offer FREE training for social media marketers. I run 5-day challenges, give free resources and give live help to entrepreneurs. I’d love for you to join me.
Other Relevant Blog Post-
Did you get some value from this Avoiding Burnout training? Each week I pour my heart and soul into giving you amazing value to help you create your best life. I hope this gave you value. If it did please like comment and share. Monday’s I post a new Motivational post and free resource on my blog. Tuesday’s I give you amazing Team Building Tips Live on my Facebook page so stay connected.
Be Unapologetically You, Because You Are The Only You… drop a comment below.
Question of the week: Are you experiencing burnout? What do you think happened and how do you intend to get past it?
Share in the comments below because I’d love to know!